Re: Sarge install: DE DMA not enabled on VIA KT 880, VIA VT 8237 chipset, and DVD-Writer broken by ide_scsi

[Please include my email address in any replies]

Hi Frans Pop,

Thanks for your reply,

SATA support in the Sarge kernels is immature. The errata [1] for the installer already mention this. This is not a subject for the release notes, especially as it seems like every SATA controller seems to have different issues and there is no way to cover them all.

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/debian-installer/index#errata

Where do you propose to list the important work-arounds necessary to get
a Debian SATA install working then? I do not think a broken Sarge install
is something which can be acceptable.

There are few chipsets with issues, so I suggest either the release
notes, or as you suggest -- the debian-installer errata would also be
suitable.

Kind regards
JG