Sarge install: DE DMA not enabled on VIA KT 880, VIA VT 8237 chipset, and DVD-Writer broken by ide_scsi

[Please include my email address in any replies]
Hi,

I see debian-kernel is the maintainer of initrd-tools. My sarge install
was not correctly setup,

/etc/modules

floppy
ide-disk
via82cxxx
ide-generic
ide-cd
psmouse
#sd_mod
nvidia

via82cxxx was missing. and sd_mod was not commented out.  For some
reason ide_scsi was setup to be included in my initrd as well.

These caused two faults:

1) DVD writing was broken.  I had to manualy fix my initrd to not load
ide_scsi.

2) DMA was not enabled on my IDE harddrive, with via82cxxx and not
ide-generic it did not work, I had to load them in the order as above.

Could these issues be resolved by the installer and kernel config?

in the mean time can they be added to the release notes?

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes.en.txt

I expect other users probably experience these issues.

Kind regards
JG