Re: Please create pseudo package "release-notes" for BTS

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 04:09:50PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 June 2005 17:23, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> > Why not create a release-notes package that provides all the
> > documentation (and translation) in the different formats available?
>
> I have stated in my original mail the reason why I think packaging the
> Release Notes is not feasible. The package would almost certainly be
> outdated at the moment of release which IMO is not acceptable.
> (Not to mention that Release Notes may be updated post-release or on point
> releases.)

This is because the way we current handle documentation packages is just
plain wrong. It should be possible to upload documentation packages
directly to testing and have them installed just prior to release. Look at
the mess with doc-debian, for an example of the issues here.

I'd rather have documentation packages treated differently in order to be
able to have a "documentation freeze" followed by a "translation freeze"
prior to release and not have the need to plan that a few months in advance
(the regular freeze).

In any case, I still think it would be best to have a 'doc.debian.org'
pseudo package and have the Release Notes (or any other documentation) use
that as BTS placeholder. You could ask people to prepend bugs reports (or
retitle them) with the name of the document in order to distinguish which
document does it apply to. That would allow documentation contributors to
quickly review the bugs in all our ddp documentation instead of having to
browse through 10+ bug pages (doc-debian, java-common, harden-doc,
release-notes, etc.)

Regards

Javier