Documentation question/issue

Hi,

I am attempting to install files to a USB memory stick following the instructions here: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s04.html.en . The zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sda1 works, but is too small to be useful for my application. I need to do this to at least a 1/2 gig stick (1 gig preferable).

Copying the files using the instructions in 4.2.2 (the flexible way) doesnt work. I have tried this with various sticks, bootloaders (original, install-mbr and lilo) and nothing works. It is possible that the boot.img.gz file was created with slightly different versions of files/utilities than are currently available.

Is it possible to verify the contents of this page for accuracy? (Original author perhaps).

Thanks
Jim