Re: Debian Reference

Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 September 2005 16:42, Antony Gelberg wrote:
>
>>Would you mind if I investigate creation of a new XML version, that we
>>can work on in parallel with the existing version?  I will also look at
>>how the install guide is managed.  I can start to refactor the
>>Reference, and you / Javi / whomever can filter in changes as and when
>>ready.  I would of course appreciate your input throughout, as I don't
>>want to go too far down the wrong road.
>

> I am coordinator for the Installation Guide. Feel free to contact me
> on/off this list if you have any questions.
> The toolset we use for the manual could use generalization. I would very
> much welcome help with this and implementing xml more broadly. I have no
> problems with making changes in the manual to make this possible
> (provided of course they don't bring major regressions).
>
> Cheers,
> Frans Pop

Hi Frans / Osamu,

An outline for a plan:
(1) Discuss use of manual toolset for DR with Frans.
(2) Set up a svn repo.
(3) Take a frozen version of the existing DR.
(4) Refactor it into a new structure based on one already discussed with
Osamu, but likely to change lots before we get here).
(5) Keep note of diffs going in while I'm working on (4).
(6) Factor those diffs in.
(7) Need to decide how we migrate. Do diffs go into both versions for a
crossover period, or is the existing DR frozen with all new changes to
go into the new version?

Comments _very_ welcome.  Don't forget I have no experience with Debian
documentation and process at this point.  Luckily I'm a fast learner.

Frans, I don't expect you to tell me all about the current toolset,
unless you would like to.  What I would like is a link or whatever to
documentation on how the IG toolset works, and for you to tell me which
parts need to be more generic (I assume you have thought about this en
passant).