Standard license blurb for DDP documents?

Hi guys,

The FAQ thread on -devel has made me wonder (again) why don't we have
a generic documentation license that applies to all the DDP documents:

- Some documents use the GPL license: FAQ, Securing Manual, Installation
  Manual, Debian reference, Apt HOWTO, User Guide, Debian Euro HOWTO,
  Debian Policy Manual, Debian Developer's Reference, Debian New Maintainers'
  Guide, Introduction to i18n
  [ Note: the license blurb in all of these documents, however, is not
    the same ]
- Some documents have a different (ad-hoc and free) license: Debian History,
  Java FAQ
- Some documents lack a license: Release Notes, Dselect documentation for
  beginners,
- Some documents use a non-free license: Debian Repository HOWTO

How about we unify in one, maybe two, licenses? I suggest we ask DDP authors
to either use the GPL with a standard blurb, such as the one used
by the Installation Manual (see below for a sample)

And, for those uncomfortable with using the GPL as a document license we
could provide an edited form of the FreeBSD documentation license avilable
at http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-doc-license.html (see below for a
sample)

Comments?

Javier

GPL Blurb:

Copyright xxxx-xxxxx Software in the Public Interest. All rights reserved.

This manual is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under
the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version.

This manual is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without
any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability or fitness
for a particular purpose. See the GNU General Public License for more
details.

A copy of the GNU General Public License is available as
/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL in the Debian GNU/Linux distribution or on the
World Wide Web at the GNU website. You can also obtain it by writing to the
Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA
02111-1307, USA.

We require that you properly attribute Debian and the authors of this
document on any materials derived from this document. If you modify and
improve this document, we request that you notify the authors of this
document, via XXXXXXXXX@debian.org

DDP Blurb:

Copyright xxxx-xxxxx Software in the Public Interest. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source (SGML DocBook or Debiandoc) and
'compiled' forms (SGML, HTML, PDF, PostScript, RTF and so forth) with
or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:

   1.  Redistributions of source code (SGML DocBook or Debiandoc) must retain
   the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
   disclaimer as the first lines of this file unmodified.
   2.  Redistributions in compiled form (transformed to other DTDs, converted
   to PDF, PostScript, RTF and other formats) must reproduce the above
   copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer
   in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS DOCUMENTATION IS PROVIDED BY THE DEBIAN DOCUMENTATION PROJECT "AS IS"
AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE FREEBSD DOCUMENTATION PROJECT BE LIABLE
FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
OF THIS DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.