Re: Blessing DocBook/XML for Debian documentation?

Allegedly, on Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 02:02:04PM +0000, W. Borgert stated:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 09:05:29AM -0400, R. Wood wrote:
> > A related question about generating XML/DocBook: is anyone here
> > sufficiently familiar with both DocBook and reStructuredText to
> > judge whether the latter can actually generate well-formed output of
> > the former?
> >
> > If yes, this might make it much simpler for some people to produce
> > DocBook, without having to edit XML directly.
>
> Just my unqualified opinion: You could write a document in reST and
> transform into DocBook/XML.  However, other contributors will change
> the DocBook/XML version and there is no lossless transformation in the
> other direction.  E.g. in reST, you have ``literal text``, whereas in
> DocBook/XML you may have <literal>literal text</literal>,
>
> Cheers,
> --
> W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~debacle/

I see, so you are saying that reST could be useful for preparing a brand
new piece of documentation, but after that it is best to edit DocBook
directly.

Makes sense.

Have Fun with GNU/Linux,
Raymond
--
"Be Nice, or Leave - By Order of the Management"
(Sign above door, Black Sheep Inn, Wakefield)