Re: Action plan poll for DDP

Em Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:46:29 -0500, Adam Di Carlo <aph@debian.org> escreveu:

> >> I think you should use "branch" capability of CVS.  As  long as you stay
> >> away from HEAD branch, your development version in the CVS will not be
> >> published.  (I now copy development version from other CVS after
> >> checking their consistency.  Once alioth is up, I will change my
> >> behaviour.)
>
> Osamu isn't really clear here.  The way CVS works, the development
> copy should be the HEAD and the branch should be for stable versions.
> The mainline where development always must be the HEAD. This is
> especially necessary if you have pretty active development.

Indeed. But the way debian-doc's stuff was handled, AFAIK, HEAD was
built automatically for the main page.

> Personally I find branching to be far too much work.  If you simply
> want a way to indicate which version in CVS is the released version,
> you should use CVS tags.  This is a widely established practice; e.g.,
> this is how cvs-buildpackage works.

Cool for me, too. But I'd still prefer having something like a place
to upload releases or someway to say which tag is used as 'release'.

> Unfortunately cvs-buildpackage doesn't provide a tag meaning, "latest
> release".  For instance, 'debian_version_latest'.  So we'd have to
> come up with such a tag and implement it and get all the authors to
> implement it.

That would be good, but would that mean untagging the previous
last version before that?

Thanks!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>