Re: DDP project on Alioth

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 10:38:35PM +0100, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Let's do it simpler.
>
> 1.  If someone on DDP is interested to keep history for scripts, let
>     them come forward.  They should tell us timelines of review.

I looked into current utils/ It now contains only a couple of dirs
debiandoc2dbxml/ and scripts/. The first one is the same (no diff)
package available in sid. Adam sponsored the stuff in june.

The other dir is _untouched_ in respect with my snapshot.

The snapshot I'm currently using is nicely so old to have the old
scripts around too, if someone is interested (convert/ and debiantodoc/).
I'm considering those obsoleted, anyway.

> 2.  Check HEAD contents.

I'm considering trustable my snapshot. I'll check also against another
copy I have at work ASAP. I already have a list of files changed,
I could provide that list and the complete (or splitted) diff in my home
if someone would help in checking. My idea is essentially checking
the makefiles and includes. Sgml files should be checked also,
but I know (more or less) english and italian only :)

> 3.  If item 1 can be finished within reasonable time like a month, wait
>     here.

Hopefully, far less. That's if we are considering trustable my snapshots
and pierre's snapshots.

> 4.  If not install known-good-HEAD.
> 5.  If history is verified OK, think about merging changes.
>
> Realistically, 5 can be skipped.
>
> > > I also added some obviuos users to the project, such as joy and aph.
> > > If a trustable committers list can be provided to us, it would be fine.
> >
> > That would be all the list of 'users' in the old CVSRoot. You could also
> > gather one based on the history of changes of all the documents. BTW, have
> > you contacted the translation teams at all?
>
> He is doing it now.  DDP members active are supposed to be reading this
> list.  It is good way to ping actives.

I'll keep the list up-to-date with the status of the thing.
I currently added all trustable members (DD-only) with known account
on alioth. I'll ping other people in the users file ASAP.
And yes, those users are from CVSROOT.

Probably, that's the time to check status of members to ignore no more
active people. I'm considering DDs active, at least :)

> > If you were interested in restoring the DDP service it should have been
> > restored _first_ on gluck, after all the contents have been verified, once
> > done, it could have been moved to alioth, but after contacting all the
> > parties. This "now it's done" approach, is not the way to do it.
>
> I am practical.  I am not pushing this.  What is wrong to move to
> alioth.  It is CVS afterall.  Just different hostname.

BTW, alioth has several tools, such as a task manager or the
possibility to manage easily contributors which are not project
members. So it's not only a CVS instead of another, it's
a different style of project management.

Anyway, as a translator, I know that restoring the history
of changes done in the sgml documents is essential to speed up
the updating process.

> > Do you have a clear plan on how to have gluck regenerate all the
> > documentation in HTML format based on the Alioth sources? Have
> > you discussed this with debian-admin@?
>
> Yes, that a goos idea.  Ask them to provide tar of CVSROOT.  Wait... it
> looks like everything has moved.  I do not see it on gluck.  :-)  I
> guess Francesco or Pierre relocated it already.

No, the CVSROOT is there, yet available.

> > Also notice that for some users of the DDP, including myself, the history
> > is as important as the documents themselves. Please preserve it too.
>
> I understand this but I assume your interest is mostly document SGML.
> Am I wrong?
>
> > Note that I'm not particuarly against moving the DDP to Alioth, it's just
> > that I don't believe it is a decission to be taken lightly, and should be
> > clear on all fronts, that's why I'm hinting to some of the steps you
> > have missed. Granted, they should all have been done by now by other
> > DDP members (it's almost february) but fixing RC bugs has been a higher
> > priority (for me at least).
>
> I agree that this is not a decission to be taken lightly.  But I
> appreciate initiative and efforts taken by the people who put their
> efforts.
>
> You know, having working CVS is better than nothing for DDP.

That's exactly my idea.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine