Re: created software raid howto for debian systems

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:45:47 -0700 (MST), Lucas Albers
<albersl@cs.montana.edu> posted to debian-doc:
 > Debian NEEDS better software raid documentation.
 > I looked and worked on this for weeks, and their is not really any
 > documentation that shows you how to do this from start to finish using the
 > really easy software raid tools, mdadm.
 > Perhaps I need to rewrite the format to follow existing
 > g formats, but I believe this should be part of the core documentation.
 > Raid is critical to production servers.

The conversion to a format other than HTML is probably going to be
useful regardless of where this ends up.

I see four different options:

  * Include your documentation as part of the package which you depend
    on (mdadm?) -- that way, anybody who gets the Debian package also
    gets the prerequisite documentation. I sort of like this idea. All
    you need outside of the mdadm package is the information that in
    order to get software RAID, you need mdadm.

  * Keep your documentation on your own web site. Let Google and the
    Debian community take care of the rest. If you're lazy, I believe
    this is quite sufficient if your documentation is good enough and
    there is a real need. Maybe also provide it as a Debian package.
    If you don't have a suitable web site, maybe posting it on Debian
    Planet or some such is a viable option.

  * Submit your documentation to the DDP for inclusion on the DDP
    site. Frankly, I'm not sure this is useful, but it could be a good
    basis for getting some co-maintainers and a good home if you don't
    have a web site of your own and/or the commitment to maintain the
    HOWTO for several years to come. Maybe also provide the docs as a
    Debian package.

  * Get your documentation included as an appendix of the installation
    manual or some such.

I don't think you can expect to have it in the "core documentation" if
by that you mean have it included as part of the Debian base
installation. There's a zillion installations which are not
"production servers" and it puts the burden of keeping the docs up to
date with the base system folks, who already have enough to do.

A fifth option is still the LDP but you said you didn't want that, and
it shares some of the problems of putting it in the DDP -- it's not
necessarily where most people will look for it.

/* era */

--
formail -s procmail <http://www.iki.fi/era/spam/ >http://www.euro.cauce.org/
cat | more | cat<http://www.iki.fi/era/unix/award.html>http://www.debian.org/