Re: created software raid howto for debian systems

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:02:05PM -0700, Lucas Albers wrote:
> I have created direction on how to convert an existing debian installation
> to use software raid as it's root filesystem.
> It can be done remotelly.
> No data loss occurs.
> I have tested these directions extensivelly, and I know they work.
>
> I would like to post this as part of the debian documentation.
> It is very useful to use software raid on production systems.
> Debian does not currently have easy step by step direction on how to do this.
>
> It mentions you should convert to sgml. I currently have it in html format.
>

> http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/faqw.admin.py?query=1.22&querytype=simple&casefold=yes&req=search
>
> Tell me what to do next.

Lucas-

I would like to preface this by saying I've never written a debian
document nor am a debian developer.  I mainly work with GNOME's
documentation effort.  However there are two manauls on the web which
provide some information.  The older manual is at
http://www.debian.org/doc/docpolicy.  However there seems to be a new
policy.  The current draft of the new policy is at
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ddp-policy/ddp-policy.en.html.  The
Debian Documentation Project's (DDP) website is at
http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp.

>From glancing over the documentation it seems you will need to convert
your manual to either DocBook SGML or DebianDoc SGML.  DocBook is a
very nice format and you can find more information about it at
http://www.docbook.org.  Also the FreeBSD project and the GNOME
project have beginning tutorials in their documentation for
documentors.  The FreeBSD SGML primer is located at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/sgml-primer.html
and the GNOME Handbook is located at
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/handbook/gdp-handbook/ar01s04.html

If you do not get any more information from the DDP you might consider
releasing the HOWTO with the Linux Documentation Project.  They have a
extensive list of HOWTO documentation and would welcome any additional
contributions.  They are located at http://www.tldp.org/

Eric Baudais

--
They give you illusion that has the appearance of truth.  I give you
truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion.