Re: Problem with building pdf from tex/dvi: Courier not displayed correctly

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 05:03:09PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We're having a problem building a pdf version of the Installation Manual for
> Sarge (for Debian Installer).
>
> We use 'openjade' to generate a .tex file and 'jadetex' to generate a .dvi
> file. When this .dvi is viewed with xdvi, it looks perfect.
>
> The problems start when we generate a .pdf from either the .tex or the .dvi.
> - From .dvi
>   - we use dvipdf <filename>.dvi
>   - all monospaced text (Courier) is _shorter_ than the space allocated for
>     the text and looks compressed
>   - example is the mail address on page 2 of:
>     http://home.tiscali.nl/isildur/d-i/dvipdf_example.pdf
> - From .tex
>   - we use 'pdfjadetex <filename>.tex'
>   - all monospaced text (Courier) is _longer_ than the space allocated for
>     the text and runs over the next that comes after
>   - same example:
>     http://home.tiscali.nl/isildur/d-i/pdfjadetex_example.pdf
>
> Any ideas on how to solve this are very welcome.
> I have attached the .tex and .dvi files from which these examples were
> generated.

There were some isuue with Debiandoc and I used workaround suggested by
TEX folks.  Thumb was the issue, as I recall.

I do following

export TEXMFCNF=texmf:

and

-----------------------------

# even if language.dat is in . it isn't found without setting TEXINPUTS
# (. is always in path, so I do not understand this!)

latex.fmt: texmf/language.dat
        TEXINPUTS=$$(pwd)/texmf/:$$(kpsetool -n tex -p tex) \
        tex -ini latex.ini > /dev/null
#       fmtutil --byfmt latex --fmtdir .

pdflatex.fmt: texmf/language.dat
        TEXINPUTS=$$(pwd)/texmf/:$$(kpsetool -n pdftex -p tex) \
        pdftex -ini pdflatex.ini > /dev/null
#       fmtutil --byfmt pdflatex --fmtdir .

# required by thumbpdf (called from debiandoc2latexpdf)
pdftex.fmt: texmf/language.dat
        TEXINPUTS=$$(pwd)/texmf/:$$(kpsetool -n pdftex -p tex) \
        pdftex -ini pdftex.ini > /dev/null
#       fmtutil --byfmt pdftex --fmtdir .

latex.efmt: texmf/language.dat
        TEXINPUTS=$$(pwd)/texmf/:$$(kpsetool -n tex -p tex) \
        etex -ini latex.ini > /dev/null
#       fmtutil --byfmt latex --fmtdir .

These were a fix which I did not understood but worked like magic.
You may ask this in TEX list.

> {1}}Dit document bevat instructies voor de installatie van het Debian GNU/Linux
> 3.1 systeem, voor het

Dutch/Flemish  ???