Re: rewording to avoid sexist language on debian page

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 09:22:34AM -0700, Patty Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:48:32AM +0200, Francois Bottin wrote:
>
> > wording is really strongly sexist, then discard this message. Was there a
> > discussion on debian-women@l.d.o about this?
>
> Ooooh yeah. Apparently it's a mortal sin to consider 'he' gender neutral,
> since apparently this wording is considered "blatent discrimination" by some
> on the debian-women mailing list.

Hahaha ... (Sorry to CC you.   I did this to get an extra attention.)

> Perhaps if "he or she" is a little too cumbersome we can change the "view"
> of the text instead?
>
>  "    This manual is for a new Linux user, to help such a user get
>  acquainted with Linux once it has been installed, or for a new Linux user
>  on a system which someone else is administering. "
>
> In this example, we can avoid the pronoun entirely. This way, nobody feels
> left out.

Yes.  I over looked this.  This is the best of 3.

(Well in some languages, indefinite article "a" equivalents may have
male and female choice which still may make translated pages gender
specific. Well, if anybody care these, send us better proposal.)

So this is the choice of alternative page I will substitute if few other
DDs support this with signed mail.  Terms of changing pages are exactly
the same as stated in my previous mail.

Osamu