Re: rewording to avoid sexist language on debian page

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:48:32AM +0200, Francois Bottin wrote:

> wording is really strongly sexist, then discard this message. Was there a
> discussion on debian-women@l.d.o about this?

Ooooh yeah. Apparently it's a mortal sin to consider 'he' gender neutral,
since apparently this wording is considered "blatent discrimination" by some
on the debian-women mailing list.

Perhaps if "he or she" is a little too cumbersome we can change the "view"
of the text instead?

 "    This manual is for a new Linux user, to help such a user get
 acquainted with Linux once it has been installed, or for a new Linux user
 on a system which someone else is administering. "

In this example, we can avoid the pronoun entirely. This way, nobody feels
left out.

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from you; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski