Debian Dictionary

Hello,

I reported a little while back that I am working on a Debian Dictionary.

Well, all the infrastructre is now there to actually make it useful
(Except a whole bunch of definitions!). Using the alternitive.makefile
in ddp/manuals.sgml as a template, it now builds nicely to all normal
targets. The main feature I'd expect most people to use is that it also
can now build into 'dict' format, ready to be dropped into your local
dictd server [1].

If you want to help by adding definitions or you'd just like to check
it out you can grab a cvs snapshot at:

  ftp://ftp.pidone.org/dict-debian/dict-debian_20040525.tar.gz

Note that at the moment the build assumes you have the packages sp,
debiandoc-sgml, sgmlspl, dictfmt, dictzip, and possibly more installed.

Maybe this can take the place of the ddp/manuals.sgml/dictionary? [2]
dictionary has been in the planning stages without much work for the
last 3 years or so.

	-Joe Oppegaard

[1] After running `make dict` you should copy the dict-debian.en.dict.dz
and dict-debian.en.index files into /usr/share/dictd then run
`dictdconfig -w; /etc/init.d/dictd restart`.

[2] http://cvs.debian.org/ddp/manuals.sgml/dictionary/?cvsroot=debian-doc