font fuss with ghostscript

I've got a document rendering problem to which no-one on debian-user could
or would give advice on; but I trust that in this forum someone
knowledgeable in the Debian Font Manager system can give me some
directions towards solving this problem:

Background: I am writing a book in DocBook, but I have problems generating
a good PDF file from it.  The reason is, that I have to include EPS images
that AcroRead does not know how to render.  But if I use ghostscript to
convert PDF (with EPS) to PDF, I get a new PDF file that A.R. knows how to
digest.

Thus:
fop GemBook.fo GemBook.pdf
gs -dNOPAUSE -dNOPLATFONTS -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=GemBook_pdf.pdf
GemBook.pdf
(Note: I tried without NOPLATFONTS too)

My problem: the original fonts are plain vanilla Helvetica (for headers)
and Times (for text).  But they are replaced by ghostscript by something
sans-serif.  During processing I get all kinds of messages like:

Page 5
/var/lib/defoma/gs.d/dirs/fonts/n019004l.pfb... 2030328 632708 1924052
621813 1 done.
/var/lib/defoma/gs.d/dirs/fonts/n021003l.pfb... 2090616 689993 1944148
629111 1 done.

I have many ghostscript packages installed, in particular:
gs             6.53-3         The Ghostscript Postscript interpreter
gs-common      0.3.3.1        Common files for different Ghostscript relea
gs-pdfencrypt  1.0.4-6        Provides support to view encrypted PDFs with
gsfonts        6.0-2.1        Fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
gsfonts-x11    0.17           Make Ghostscript fonts available to X11

However, the contents in /var/lib/defoma/gs.d/dirs/fonts/ do not seem to
be included in the packages directly.  The gsfonts package puts them
under /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/ .  I suppose some install script
copies them under the defoma dirs (copied, no symlinks).

In the log segment above the n021003l.pfb is a Times-Roman font, and the
n019004l.pfb is a Helvetica-Bold font.  Both appear in the
/etc/defoma/hints/gsfonts.hints file.  Apparently they are from Nimbus.

But why does ghostscript replace the vanilla Adobe fonts by those Nimbus
fonts?
How come that everything becomes sans-serif?
What can I do about it?

	Thanx,
--

	Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters