[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: DDP restoration plan proposal (medium-term move to Alioth)

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> writes:

> Ok, here's my proposal on how should DDP be restored:
> 1.- Since more than one review has been done of the HEAD branch, restore 
> the CVS service for the DDP at gluck (without pserver access). 

This needs to be done quickly.  Can I help expedite it?

Personally I would have recommended just moving right to alioth, but
I wasn't around to recommend it.  It would have broken web updates but
at least we'd be in a situation where authors can do updates.

> 2.- Send a notice asking for DDP authors/translators to
> 	a) review the current HEAD branch themselves
> 	b) commit any changes done to documents that might still be at 
> 	local copies
> 	c) tell them that the DDP cvs server will be moved in the short 
> 	term to Alioth.
>    This notice should not be sent to -doc, but probably to -i18n and to 
>    -devel-announce.
> [This advance notice means that the manuals.sgml/ directory at the DDP 
> project in Alioth, should _not_ be used until the move is complete]


> 3.- Work out together with the Debian admins how should klecker update the 
> DDP pages once the project has moved to Alioth [1]

I have some ideas about that.  I don't really see why we can't have
the doc build process run as a low priority user, and install under a
prefix such as ~luser/tmp/ddp-root .  Then the user which has RW to
the web will just 'cp -ar' those files into place.

The proposals to split into 2 CVS areas, one for makefiles, one for
docs, seems to be utterly unmaintainable.

> [1] This might mean keeping scripts that run periodically through cron
> (Makefiles under manuals.sgml + utils/) at a CVS in gluck. Debian-doc
> members should be responsible for merging the changes done with those files
> at Alioth (if any)

I don't understand what you mean about merging here. Does it relate to
point (4), the move over?

> 4.- (once 3 is cleared up and after a reasonable time, a month?) Move all
> the data from gluck to Alioth and disable the data in the CVS there. So 
> that Alioth holds the canonical copy. Again, notify people at -i18n and 
> -devel-announce of the move.

Are you just intending to tar up the repository itself (*,v files) and
untar them on alioth?  That's the best way to move CVS repositories,

.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@debian.org.....<URL:http://www.debian.org/>

Reply to: