Re: DDP restoration plan proposal (medium-term move to Alioth)

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 01:01:19AM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 12:25:56AM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> > Ok, here's my proposal on how should DDP be restored:
> >
> > 1.- Since more than one review has been done of the HEAD branch, restore
> > the CVS service for the DDP at gluck (without pserver access).
>
> Why are there other items?  At this point, service is restored, end
> of the story.  Everything else is a different matter.

Restoring the service is not very difficult, but maybe it's possible to
improve the old behaviour?

I don't know how many people had access to old DDP CVS but all
translators depend on CVS write access. There are currently 34 persons
who contributed to Debian Reference. Add a few translators for other
projects and you get a number of at least 50 people!

After moving to alioth all these would have access to DDP and are able
to delete the complete CVS repository not only a single revision!
(Maybe it's possible to reduce the permissions of /cvsroot/ddp and to
set the "set group ID" bit of cvs to remove this security risk.)

A solution would be a separate CVS repository where everyone has access
to and a restricted CVS tree which is synced once per week by a few
trustworthy Debian developers and is used to create all official
documents.
I think it's a good idea to nominate a few translation coodinators for
all languages, these could check and commit the language specific stuff.

Jens