Re: DDP project on Alioth

Just answering to main hints, I have not time in this moment for details.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:35:57AM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:21:58AM +0100, Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:
> > After discussion with Pierre Machard aka migus on IRC, I created a new
> > project 'ddp' on alioth in order to restore by trusted snapshots
> > the no more available documentation repository.
>
> Have you talked with Adam or Joy about this? Last time I looked _they_ were
> the ones that should take this decission.

They are both PMs for the project currently. They are probably too busy with
other tasks currently to deal with the restoration of DDP.
I saw multiple queries about the status of the rep on IRC, this list and
other ones. That's just a way to have things moving on.

> > The plan is that describe in
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-doc/2003/debian-doc-200312/msg00017.html
>
> That plan has not been approved by all DDP members.

Is there any formal way for having that approvation? Creating the
repository is just a starting point not the final goal, anyway.
BTW, I saw no objections to the plan in the last couple of months:
that message is dated 12/9 and there is very few activity
in this list since the intrusion days. Maybe, nobody cares enough.

> > In the meantime me and mingus will check archive contents. Helpers
> > are welcome.
>
> I already asked for this and it should have been done _before_ moving the
> DDP project for Alioth. I could only check the latest HEAD branch against
> several HEAD copies (mine included) and all changes looked ok to me, but
> was not able to review all the history for the scripts.

I cannot see a better solution to have something working again.

> If you check the contents of utils/ (which I haven't) and manuals.sgml
> scripts history then we could contact debian-admin to reenable the CVSROOT
> at gluck:/home/oldgluck/org/cvs.debian.org/cvs/debian-doc.

I have both them in my checkouts.

> > I also added some obviuos users to the project, such as joy and aph.
> > If a trustable committers list can be provided to us, it would be fine.
>
> That would be all the list of 'users' in the old CVSRoot. You could also
> gather one based on the history of changes of all the documents. BTW, have
> you contacted the translation teams at all?

Not yet.

> If you were interested in restoring the DDP service it should have been
> restored _first_ on gluck, after all the contents have been verified, once
> done, it could have been moved to alioth, but after contacting all the
> parties. This "now it's done" approach, is not the way to do it.

I know. Again, theory and practice are different things. I'm just seeing
that things are stopped since a couple of months. If someone could help,
why not?

> Do you have a clear plan on how to have gluck regenerate all the
> documentation in HTML format based on the Alioth sources? Have
> you discussed this with debian-admin@?

Not yet. But it's technically possible.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine