Re: debiandoc-sgml problems (SHORTTAG YES) (LaTeX macros)

Jens Seidel (tux-master@web.de) wrote:
> On Sunday, 1. June 2003 01:25, you wrote:
> > Jens Seidel (tux-master@web.de) wrote:
> > > I updated from Woody to Sid and now I'm unable to create Debian
> > > reference (http://qref.sf.net):
> > >
> > > $ make
> > > [snip]
> > > nsgmls:reference.en.sgml:52:12:E: the name and vi delimiter can be
> > > omitted from an attribute specification only if SHORTTAG YES is
> > > specified nsgmls:en/preface.sgml:62:13:E: the name and vi delimiter
> > > can be omitted from an attribute specification only if SHORTTAG YES
> > > is specified [snip]
> > >
> > > One solution is
> > >
> > > $ cat /usr/share/sgml/debiandoc/dtd/sgml/1.0/debiandoc.dcl \
> > >  qref.sgml > tmpXX; mv tmpXX qref.sgml
> > >
> > > another is appending
> > > "-d /usr/share/sgml/debiandoc/dtd/sgml/1.0/debiandoc.dcl" to
> > > debiandoc2* in Makefile.
> > >
> > > Can anybody explain this behavior?
> >
> > Hmm, interesting.  I just downloaded the latest version and simply ran
> > `make`. Except for needing to remove 'pl' from the list of languages to
> > build there was no build problem whatsoever.  And in the Makefile there
> > was no mention of any inclusion of a .dcl file.
>
> Indeed, there was no need to add "-d ..." in Woody.

But I'm (of course) also running sid and have no problems.

> > What version of
> > DebianDoc-SGML are you running and which version of the qref did you
> > use?  Oh, what's your locale set to?
>
> My Sid system is up to date:
>
> debiandoc-sgml 1.1.79
> debiandoc-sgml-doc 1.1.14
> libsgmls-perl  1.03ii-23
> sgml-base      1.17
> sgml-base-doc  1.14
> sgml-data      1.9.1
> sgmlspl        1.03ii-23
> sgmltexi       2003.00.00-1
>
> I'm using the newest cvs version of qref (URL: http://qref.sf.net not
> DDP!) and my locale is de_DE@euro. (I even tried LC_ALL=C.)

Ok, so the only difference is that it works but not for you.  Were there
any error message or alike when you upgraded?  Can you process other docs
without problems?

> > > 2)
> > >
> > > How can I easily specify a LaTeX macro file which should be included
> > > in *.tex?
> >
> > One cannot.  You're supposed to edit your doc in SGML and leave it to
> > the tools to generate the needed output format.
> >
> > > This is *very* useful to specify hyphenation rules
> > > ("\hyphenation{ei-gen-val-ue prop-er-ty}") and to modify the ps, pdf
> > > output. At the moment it's possible that LaTeX breaks a line
> > > "text [snip]. See dir/." as follows:
> > >
> > > "text [snip]. See dir"
> > > "/."
> > >
> > > That's ugly! LaTeX (especially TeX) is powerful and it should be
> > > possible to prevent such situation.
> >
> > Well, that's actually a feature.  Suppose you have a very long path.
> > LaTeX has been educated to use the '/' character as a line break
> > possibility.
>
> Yes but it's also possible to split the line after /.

Not in the 'standard" LaTeX config.  So, LaTeX will need some help here...

> Wrong hyphenations SHOULD be fixed with \hyphenation! (Please note that
> there are many words in non-English documents which needs to be fixed and
> there are still a few in English texts.)
>
> > > One solution is to add
> > > "\InputIfFileExists{qrefMacroFile.sty}{\usepackage{qrefMacroFile}}{}"
> > > in the preamble of *.tex. Another is to redefine an important system
> > > style file, e.g. babel.sty to
> > >
> > > \input /path/to/babel.sty % or \include?
> > > % my macros ...
> >
> > No, we should absolutely not mess with tetex in any form or shape.  You
> > would break other users.  Don't go there.
>
> Please add \InputIfFileExists to the output. If you choose a special
> filename such as debiandoc-sgml_macro.sty nobody will notice this change
> except me! Please do so!

No, there will be no generic macro file.  This will have to be document
specific (and very likely even locale specific).

> > So, anyway.  It appears there's need to have an extra command line
> > option to specify a file to be included in the .tex file.  Is this
> > considered a general need.  If so, I've got no problem implementing it.
>
> A macro file should be supported, but I think it's not necessary to add
> an option (but it's OK if you do so).

Well, given the document and locale specificness, the only way is through
a command line option.

Thanks,
Ardo
--