Re: debiandoc-sgml problems (SHORTTAG YES) (LaTeX macros)

On Sunday, 1. June 2003 01:25, you wrote:
> Jens Seidel (tux-master@web.de) wrote:
> > I updated from Woody to Sid and now I'm unable to create Debian
> > reference (http://qref.sf.net):
> >
> > $ make
> > [snip]
> > nsgmls:reference.en.sgml:52:12:E: the name and vi delimiter can be
> > omitted from an attribute specification only if SHORTTAG YES is
> > specified nsgmls:en/preface.sgml:62:13:E: the name and vi delimiter
> > can be omitted from an attribute specification only if SHORTTAG YES
> > is specified [snip]
> >
> > One solution is
> >
> > $ cat /usr/share/sgml/debiandoc/dtd/sgml/1.0/debiandoc.dcl \
> >  qref.sgml > tmpXX; mv tmpXX qref.sgml
> >
> > another is appending
> > "-d /usr/share/sgml/debiandoc/dtd/sgml/1.0/debiandoc.dcl" to
> > debiandoc2* in Makefile.
> >
> > Can anybody explain this behavior?
>
> Hmm, interesting.  I just downloaded the latest version and simply ran
> `make`. Except for needing to remove 'pl' from the list of languages to
> build there was no build problem whatsoever.  And in the Makefile there
> was no mention of any inclusion of a .dcl file.

Indeed, there was no need to add "-d ..." in Woody.

> What version of
> DebianDoc-SGML are you running and which version of the qref did you
> use?  Oh, what's your locale set to?

My Sid system is up to date:

debiandoc-sgml 1.1.79
debiandoc-sgml-doc 1.1.14
libsgmls-perl  1.03ii-23
sgml-base      1.17
sgml-base-doc  1.14
sgml-data      1.9.1
sgmlspl        1.03ii-23
sgmltexi       2003.00.00-1

I'm using the newest cvs version of qref (URL: http://qref.sf.net not
DDP!) and my locale is de_DE@euro. (I even tried LC_ALL=C.)

> > 2)
> >
> > How can I easily specify a LaTeX macro file which should be included
> > in *.tex?
>
> One cannot.  You're supposed to edit your doc in SGML and leave it to
> the tools to generate the needed output format.
>
> > This is *very* useful to specify hyphenation rules
> > ("\hyphenation{ei-gen-val-ue prop-er-ty}") and to modify the ps, pdf
> > output. At the moment it's possible that LaTeX breaks a line
> > "text [snip]. See dir/." as follows:
> >
> > "text [snip]. See dir"
> > "/."
> >
> > That's ugly! LaTeX (especially TeX) is powerful and it should be
> > possible to prevent such situation.
>
> Well, that's actually a feature.  Suppose you have a very long path.
> LaTeX has been educated to use the '/' character as a line break
> possibility.

Yes but it's also possible to split the line after /.
Wrong hyphenations SHOULD be fixed with \hyphenation! (Please note that
there are many words in non-English documents which needs to be fixed and
there are still a few in English texts.)

> > One solution is to add
> > "\InputIfFileExists{qrefMacroFile.sty}{\usepackage{qrefMacroFile}}{}"
> > in the preamble of *.tex. Another is to redefine an important system
> > style file, e.g. babel.sty to
> >
> > \input /path/to/babel.sty % or \include?
> > % my macros ...
>
> No, we should absolutely not mess with tetex in any form or shape.  You
> would break other users.  Don't go there.

Please add \InputIfFileExists to the output. If you choose a special
filename such as debiandoc-sgml_macro.sty nobody will notice this change
except me! Please do so!

> So, anyway.  It appears there's need to have an extra command line
> option to specify a file to be included in the .tex file.  Is this
> considered a general need.  If so, I've got no problem implementing it.

A macro file should be supported, but I think it's not necessary to add
an option (but it's OK if you do so).

Thanks,
Jens