Re: TeX settings (Re: getting DocBook to print)

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 12:19:00PM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:
[...]
> Hmmm, this is indeed strange, I tried to change main memory size
> when compiling xmltex manual, and found that
>   latex manual.tex
> worked fine whereas
>   pdfxmltex manual.xml
> seems not to be affected by changes in texmf.cnf.  So you might
> write a TeX file containing the 2 lines
>   \def\xmlfile{yourdocument.xml}
>   \input xmltex
> and process it with LaTeX until a real solution is found.

I won't have time to investigate more now, here are my latest results:
  * main_memory.pdfxmltex is ignored, but this value can be changed
    via main_memory.pdflatex.
  * As told in texmf.cnf comments, main_memory values are used when
    building format files, so one must rebuild format files after
    changing these values.
  * 'fmtutil --all' has to be run twice (I guess that pdflatex.fmt is
    updated during first pass, then pdfxmltex.fmt).

Denis