Re: Requesting addition to the Release Notes (bug #147546)

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Eloy A. Paris wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman and I are the maintainers of the dhcp-client package.
> It has been brought to our attention that the upgrade of the
> dhcp-client from Potato to Woody breaks the DHCP client. This was an
> oversight on my part and it seems there's nothing we can do about it
> now that Woody is in deep freeze other than try to get a note in the
> Release Notes about the problem.
>
> The problem (bug #147546) is that the maintainer scripts remove
> /etc/init.d/dhcp-client. This is not the correct way to start
> dhclient, and /etc/network/interfaces should be used instead. New
> installations of Woody are fine, but users upgrading from Potato will
> be affected.

AFAIK, the default DHCP client in potato was pump, so it could well be
the case that the only potato users who will be affected are those
who removed pump and installed dhcp-client before the upgrade.

(I upgraded a lot of potato machines using pump and they still work).