Re: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/

Thanks interesting links and good list of suggested books :)

FYI:  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
may have had some build failure but it is now available in html, text, pdf.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/index.en.html
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/users-guide.en.txt
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/users-guide.en.pdf

I did upload these source to CVS archive :)

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 03:39:29PM -0700, Jim Lynch wrote:
> [Hi list: post here is notify of response. perhaps some of the below useful
> for debian documentation links?]
>
> Hi Mike.
>
> You can start with these, and click around:
> http://www.debian.org/
> http://www.debianplanet.org/
> And you can search for things like:
>   - shell tutorial
>       [interesting result:
>         http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.html
>       ]
>   - shell scripting tutorial
>   - bash scripting tutorial
>   - linux tutorial
>   - debian tutorial
>       [interesting results:
>         http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue15/debian.html
>         http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp
>       ]
>   and even
>   - unix tutorial
>       [interesting results:
>         http://www.isu.edu/departments/comcom/unix/workshop/unixindex.html
>         http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/
>         http://www.math.utah.edu/lab/unix/unix-tutorial.html
>         The Unix Programming Environment,
>           by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike,
>           Prentice-Hall, 1984.
>         http://bromide.ocean.washington.edu/unix.tutorial.html
>         http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/
>
>         ...and that was just some of the first google page of about 456,000
>           matches! you're in -damn- good hands!
>       ]
>   since debian is a linux is a unix work-alike.
>   note: I tried every one of these searches, with spectacular results
>     for each.
>
> at a web search engine like http://www.google.com/ or yahoo or whatever.
>
> All of the above will work with plain text; X is optional but in -no-
> way is it necessary. Everything you learn can be done in plain text
> mode. Pretty much, the only assumption I have made in this response
> is that you are computer literate (turn computer on, shutdown properly,
> can read and attempt to understand error messages, can read reference
> material). The important thing is that you take things in in -small-
> pieces, actually try each piece, and think about the result you get.
>
> -Jim
>
> On Thu, 16 May 2002 13:59:43 +0100
> "Dupont, Michael" <michael.dupont@mciworldcom.de> wrote:
>
> > Dear Sirs,
> > the http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/ is not available...
> > Can you provide a list of good starting places for beginnners with debian
> > linux?

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.