Testinstallation on Sony Vaio Z505JE

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know, that I installed Debian woody on a Sony Vaio
Z505JE from CDs. I used the Sony PCGA-CD51 to boot from the CD1 (bf2.4),
which is a PCMCIA drive.

Although Linux booted from the CD, I could not install the base system from
the CD! A google search showed that the boot parameter

ide2=0x180,0x386

is necessary. Not sure, if the release notes are a good place to give these
troubleshooting hints. But since Vaios are quite common, it might be worth to
put it there.

Apart from that the rest of the installation went pretty smooth. There were
two minor issues:

- After reboot, I got the message:

It seems that your system does not need PCMCIA....

and the suggestion was to remove the PCMCIA support. But I installed from CD
and I have no idea what I should do without PCMCIA.

- The local selection was poor (leave alone (whatever that means), none, C)

Woody is in a very good shape.

Congratulations!

--
Rainer Dorsch