Re: *** [maint-guide-publish] Error 2

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 11:38:04PM +0000, Martin WHEELER wrote:

> On Fri, 3 May 2002, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
>
> > 	Yes. Package it, that way they cannot say you are only a
> > documentation maintainer.
>
> Hmmm.
>
> Javi -- would you please care to elaborate on that: "only" ?
> (It seems to me to indicate an unwarranted attitude of superiority.)

	I was just elaborating under the same thread, other people said
they encountered problems in the NM queue due to not having packaged
anything. I did not, by any means, suggest I feel the work of
documentation developers (*and* translators) is either neligible or of
less value than software maintainership. You see, I write documentation
and translate myself.

> I am currently working very hard at becoming a documentation maintainer;
> I am proud of the fact; and I see myself as (at least) the equal of a
> package maintainer in the professionalism and in-depth knowledge
> required to achieve this status, and the work it entails.

	I sincerely apologise if you thought I was "downgrading" you. That
was not my intent. I only said that, being the NM queue as it is, Osamu
had an easy way to layoff the package-centered vision of it just by
packaging the same documentation he is maintaining. IMHO it is also an
important task to provide documentation for offline reading so that users
do not need an Internet connection to learn about Debian.

> Different jobs require different skills in different knowledge areas.
> The _degree_ of skillfulness and craftsmanship required for each is, I
> would say, the same.

	I agree. However, people should be working with the NM group to
introduce this same point of view. Probably, there is nobody dedicated to
documentation issues in the NM queue and they might not realise its
importance (or think packaging is more important). I really don't know the
criteria used there but since some people (re-read the thread please)
seemed to imply it was too package-biased I just suggested Osamu a
solution.
	For example, I find it lacking that
http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-step4 doesn't talk at all about
translators. Even if documentation-oriented, translation skills are
completely different from documentation ones.

	Regards

	Javi