Re: Debian documentation

I'm sorry for taking so long to answer.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 07:27:50PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> Em Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:28:28 +0200, David Schmitt <david@schmitt.edv-bus.at>
> escreveu:
>
> > Yes, each package has its own doc-base control file. Since a
> > doc-base-'Document' cannot span multiple control files, six translations
> > of the same common-sense-document are six different
> > doc-base-'Document's. Unless they can be matched somehow, this poses
> > problems like how to provide 'This document is available in this and
> > that language'?
>
> Ah... now I understand what you meant... yes, doc-base would have to understand
> that all those files are control files for different translations of the same
> document...

Yes, exactly. Under the light of recent changes[1] in debconf (which faces
similar problems with its template translations) this could be solved by
"compiling" the different translations into .mo style (or similar)
files, one for each document, containing all translations of metadata
and all pointers to the different translations.

The now-uploaded[2] po-debconf seems to be not yet available, but should
be worth a look.

Regards, David

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200209/msg00571.html
and the rather long following threads.
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200209/msg01024.html

--
Afrika kommt nach Europa. Das ist der Kontinentaldrift. Da kann man auch
mit einem neuen Asylgesetz nichts dagegen machen. Das sollte mal wer