Migration to /usr/share/doc

Hi everybody.

This may be quite stupid or frivolous. :-)

I have noticed the migration of the extra documentation files from /usr/doc/ to /usr/share/doc/ (as also describes the Debian Policy chapter 13.3). I am trying not to use exclusively the simbolic link to /usr/share/doc/ but to look directly to the new folder. Well, I there is a (very) simple and boring fact: the <tab> completion locks because there is /usr/share/doc-base/ too. I searched for some explanations about it in the Debian Policy, even if its name is self-explanatory. I did not find anything.
Couri
So my questions/proposals are:
- Why this directory exists? And what is it about?
- Is it possible to move their contents to /usr/share/doc/ allowing a faster search through the filesystem?

Thanks for reading,
Giorgio

[I cc it to debian-devel]
_______
Class, that's the only thing that counts in life.  Class.
Without class and style, a man's a bum; he might as well be dead.
		-- "Bugsy" Siegel