Re: Capitalization conventions for Debian release names

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 02:32:08PM +0200, Pierre Machard wrote:
> Right... I am used to translating DWN into French. To emphasize the name
> woody I am using <i>Woody</i> in .wml files. Do you think this rule is
> the right one ?
>
> I believe that it's important for users to be able to recognize terms
> like Debian, Woody, stable ...

You are raising interesting issue here.  First of all, capitalization is
dictated with few factors.  One is the file name used in the mirror
site, second is the capitalization practice of each language.

I am wondering what are the Germanic language people are doing :)  They
tends to use more capital letters in the text than French and English.

Let me report grep result.

As for English boot-floppies, only capitalization of codename happens in
the title lines where non-trivial words are all capitalized.  This may
be considered a bug by Josip :)

post-install.sgml:217:the &kernelversion; kernel is still used in Woody for inst
alls, more-recent 2.4

For French boot-floppies,

post-install.sgml:189:Woody, des noyaux de la s<E9>rie 2.4 plusr<E9>cente sont
disponibles sous la forme

For german boot-floppies,

I see no Woody.

For FAQ, there is no word Woody (It is mentioned as Cowboy) in English.

All others are lower case.

Patato, I saw no sign of Potato except Mr. Potato.

Regards.
Osamu
 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.