Re: cvs commit to ddp/manuals.sgml/faq by osamu

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 06:33:30PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> <sect id="depends">What is meant by saying that a package
>   Depends/Recommends/Suggests/Conflicts/Replaces/Provides another package?
> ---x8 snip-end
>
> Real question is what is the correct or recommended practice for this
> type of situation?  Someone with access to some authoritative English
> style guide books for technical writing maybe the one to judge.  It
> ain't me.

The English version is this/that. In the books I have read, this has
been the norm for both American and British publications. By the way,
you are really not supposed to have a whole series of slashes - that
itself is wrong. If you are suggesting a choice, use "or."

Perhaps rephrase the above question as:
What is meant by saying that a package either Depends, Recommends,
Suggests, Conflicts, Replaces or Provides another package?

Even better:
What does it mean whenn a package either Depends, Recommends, Suggests,
Conflicts, Replaces, or Provides another package?

I didn't major in English, but I grew up with the language. Besides,
English is hardly the perfect language for rules. At some point, it
becomes a matter of what sounds right :-}.

HTH,
Andy