Re: Second draft of Woody release notes

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 06:59:47PM +0000, Rob Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 10:53:12PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > | Users who are installing Debian onto smaller systems and who only
> > | require the only a basic system will be pleasently suprised to find that
> > | the base system is now smaller than in the previous release of Debian
> > | GNU/Linux.
> >
> > Did someone actually check this? I just said it *might* be so.
>
> Why would i ever doubt you Joey? :)
>
> I dont have the bandwidth capabilities to test this here, can someone please
> check this and inform me.

As far as disk space needed to install, we revised that from 75MB to 100MB.
Some of that is taken up by debs that are later deleted. I think since the
new system downloads all the debs first, rather than unpacking packages directly
from a tarball, it requires more working space, not less. But that's just for
a network install. From a CD, I don't think that logic applies.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |