Re: Volunteer Raising Ugly Head... ;-)

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 09:37:25AM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> Hiya,

   polite snip ><8

> I am prepared to offer one hour a day of my time to DDP and would like to
> know what needs doing.
>
> I suspect that there will be many things I know nothing or little of, so be
> gentle :-)
> --

These guys don't understand gentle, be prepared...

For my .02, I'd think some work on an authoritative rank-beginner document
would be excellent. For the new-to-Unix Debian user. I know that's a tall
order; I think maybe the User manual in the DDP (which is mostly TBD) was
probably intended to almost do that.

As a new user 4 months ago, a longtime programmer who managed to avoid Unix
until Debian, I was pretty well lost. I found a few references on the web,
and there are a couple of HOWTOs, etc.

There is a newbie-doc.sourceforge.net (?) site which seems to have lost its
steam also, but that would be outside of Debian right now.

Another idea that's come up before is an FAQ for debian-user.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |