Re: can you give me some support?

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 01:34:20PM +0200, Robert de Gier wrote:
> Hi, I'm new with Linux so I have some questions will you help me?

This list is for those writing documentation for Debian; I've redirected
this to our general user help/discussion list.

> Iv got a IBM Risc 6000 power PC. They told me I could install Debian
> PowerPC version on it.
> Now I downloaded with "The pseudo-image kit version 2.0" the power pc
> distribution version 2.3, It went well until the rsync option came '
> have to change the version I have downloaded into an Iso file to the
> latest version by give in the next line out of the readme.txt
> "rsync --verbose --progress --stats --block-size=8192
> server.somewhere.org::debian-cd/2.1/i386/binary-i386-1.iso ." my
> server.somewhere.org was ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org what will be the line I
> have to give in I thought
> "rsync --verbose --progress --stats --block-size=8192
> ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org::debian-cd/2.2/PowerPC/binary-PowerPC-1.iso ." is
> that so?

No, you need to give it the name of an rsync server rather than an ftp
server. http://cdimage.debian.org/rsync-mirrors.html has a list of
servers you can use.

You might find it easier to download Debian over HTTP or FTP, which
means you just have to download what you need and don't have to burn a
CD. The installation manual
(http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/install), particularly
chapter 5, has instructions on how to do this.

Cheers,