Re: ix86: boot from floppy/install from disk (2.2r2)

Hi,

I see nobody answered this mail yet... maybe it's because you didn't wrap
lines at <80 columns :)

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 06:47:52PM +0000, yqmxocg4izw0001@sneakemail.com wrote:
> > Chapter 5 Methods for Installing Debian:
> > "You can install Debian from a variety of sources, both local (CD, hard
> > disk, floppies) and remote (FTP, NFS, PPP, HTTP). Debian also supports
> > various hardware configurations, so you may still have a few choices to
> > make before you get going. This chapter lays out the choices and some
> > suggestions for how to make them.?
>
> Grammatically poor English.  ?variety of sources? -> various hardware
> configuration choices -> lays out the choices.  I believe the intention is
> to address the variety of ?sources?.  The sentence regarding hardware
> config. choices distracts from the purpose of the paragraph and chapter.
> I suggest removing it because this topic is well addressed earlier in the
> guide.

Agreed.

> Also, last sentence in paragraph could read
>
>  ?This chapter presents the installation sources and the methods for using
>   it.  Also, some suggestions are made on what to base one?s installation
>   sources choices.?

How's this:

This chapter lays out the installation sources and explains the methods for
using them. Additionally, some suggestions are made on how to choose the
most appropriate option.

> > You can make different choices for different steps in the installation.
> > For example, you may start the installation by booting off diskettes,
> > but then feed later steps in the install process files from your hard
> > disk.?
>
> feed later steps in the install?? -> poor English, suggestion with
> next point.

Right, how about this:

For example, you may start the installation by booting off diskettes, but
use files from your hard disk for further steps in the installation process.

> >?scrawny, incapable system which lives only in RAM?
>
> not appropriate for technical documentation -- must be concise.

Well, it looks rather concise to me ;)

> Suggest combining the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs into one:
>
>?The installation framework <wc, alt: program>, <insert name of
> installer>, is flexible in that it allows a number of combinations of
> installation sources to be used in conjunction. A key goal of the early
> installation steps is to increase the variety of hardware (e.g., interface
> cards) and software (e.g., network protocols and file system drivers) the
> system supports. Consequently, later installation steps can use a broader
> range of installation sources than earlier ones.  For example, you may
> start the installation by booting off diskettes then in later installation
> steps access the Debian CDs via the CD-ROM drive (wc, alt: device).

That looks good, but I'd change a few details:

The installation systems allows a number of combinations of installation
sources to be used in conjunction. One of the key goals of the early
installation steps is to increase the variety of hardware (e.g., interface
cards) and software (e.g., network protocols and file system drivers) the
system supports.  Consequently, later installation steps can use a broader
range of sources than earlier ones. For example, you may start the
installation by booting off diskettes, and use files from your hard disk
or the CD-ROM drive for any further steps in the installation process.

> > last paragraph
> -> I suggest altering it to be:

> The easiest route for most people will be to use a set of Debian
> CDs<insert link to http://www.debian.org/distrib/vendors >.  If you have
> such a set, great!  If your machine supports booting directly off a CD,
> configure you system for booting off a CD as described in Boot Device
> Selection, Section 3.3.2; insert your CD; reboot; and proceed to the next
> chapter. If it turns out the standard installation using booting off of
> the Debian CD doesn't work for your hardware, revisit this chapter to try
> alternative methods which may work for you.  In particular, note that some
> Debian CD sets provide different kernels on different CDs within the set
> (<link to 5.2>).  Therefore, booting off a CD other than the first in the
> set may be successful.

Okay, with a few tiny differences.

> > 5.1 Overview of the Installation Process
> > ?This overview highlights?
>
> ever ever start topic in that manner.  Equivalent to starting essay
> with ?In this essay ?? -> very bad

How's this:

You will need to choose an installation media or make a choice which will
affect which sources you can choose later in the following steps of the
installation process:

> > 1. ?
> -> boot the system to install Debian on.

Actually, "You begin by booting the installation system" is also correct --
this means the "installation system" as in the boot disk, the kernel, the
program, and not the system you are installing Debian on.

I admit it could sound confusing, though...

> > 2. ?
> -> You answer a series of questions facilitating the initial system
> -> configuration.

Hmm, like the above, it could be understood differently. Darn ambiguities. :)

> d) from this section in the chapter the content continues to be excellent,
> but structure breaks down somewhat.  A trail through the document needs to
> be developed.  I believe this should focusing on what I imagine are the
> three most common install routes:
>
> 	1. boot linux recover disks -> CD install
> 	2. boot DOS recovery disk -> CD install
> 	3. boot/install CD
> I image four through six to be:
> 	4. boot DOS/other -> disk install
> 	5. boot DOS/other -> internet install
> 	6. boot DOS/other -> network install
>
> Also, a pretty pictures version should be made for laypersons.

Yes, it does seem to lack organization. Fixing this would require larger
changes...

> e) Am I missing something fundamental here or am I correct in that the
> install guide does not identify what the general floppy disk image files
> are?!  I can manage, but it definitely is a stumbling block.

You mean there is no explanation of what is a "floppy disk image file"?
It must be in there _somewhere_.

> Well I have to get potato in the oven, so that is it for now.

:) Thanks for your comments.