Re: Proposal for a mailing list to improve Debian translation

zhaoway wrote:

> And debian-i18n is low traffic. So why not just use it?

There is a difference between internationalization (i18n) and
translation (l10n).

Internationalization is supposed to make it possible to translate things
(like an app using gettext or a web site using content negotiation).
Translation is making some translation available for the things that
have been internationalized.

So if we want to talk about translation in the i18n list, we should at
least change the description of the i18n list.
For example we could change it to "Internationalization (i18n) and
translation (l10n) of the distribution are discussed here."

And currently there is one low traffic "debian-i18n" list and many
"debian-l10n-xxxxxx" lists with higher traffic. So in my opinion, people
are more interested in discussing translation than internationalisation.
So it would be better anyway to change the name of the i18n list (if we
don't want 2 lists).

Regards,
Christian.