Debian tools to find it.
I humbly invite you to take the document at
and force everyone to read it before they ...
well, I suppose that's asking too much. But do feel free to take the
content and incorporate it wherever you feel is appropriate. I regret
to say that its current URL may not be a permanent/stable one. I'm
quite flexible about the choice of license and markup.
Here's the introduction:
Where is it?
By far and away the most common question in #Debian is "Where is it?"
Fortunately, this is the sort of question that there are well-
established methods of finding answers for.
Here are some of the many variations on that question, and their
* "When I type foo, which file gets executed?"
* "Where is file bar.baz on my system?"
* "I have a file quux on my system, which package does it belong to?"
* "I don't have file quux on my system, but I need it. Which package do I
* "I installed the zort package, now how do I know what files it gave me?"
* "What files are used for the configuration of the troz package?"
* "Which package has the noot stuff?"
* "What program or function do I have that does snork?"
(The rest of the document is at
Kevin Turner <email@example.com> | OpenPGP encryption welcome here