Re: Errouneous link in dist upgrade documentation

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Josip Rodin wrote:

> [_Please_ CC: any replies to -doc or to me, I'm not on -boot]
>
> On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 08:24:22PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > "J.A. Bezemer" <costar@panic.et.tudelft.nl> writes:
> > > Upgrading info is available at
> > >   http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/potato/
> >
> > Um, why not improve the release notes rather than write a competing
> > document? Then it could be published official at www.debian.org ?
>
> For those who don't know, I'm the Release Notes maintainer for potato. I
> haven't seen
> http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/potato/upgrade-i386/UPGRADING.html until
> after seeing this mail, actually I didn't even hear about such a document.
> What a lack of coordination! I appologize if this is my fault.

So there actually are release notes? Excellent! I did ask & post several
times on -devel, but was never told that there was some "official" initiative.

>   Maybe I
> should be subscribed to -boot... but that would be a big bunch of e-mail to
> sift through searching for release-notes related material...

When I asked on -boot, I was told that upgrade stuff definately wasn't
discussed there, and that I should post to -devel. -doc seems the most
appropriate; I'm also subscribed there.

> Anyway, we should merge the useful stuff from the other doc to the official
> Release Notes.

I agree completely.

>    Anne, I see there's a HTML and a plain text version - are
> they perhaps generated from a single SGML source?

No, they're actually from a cpp-preprocessed HTML file and lynx -dump; see
upgrade-i386/source/doc-src. I use the CPP preprocessing mainly to get
multiple $ARCH variants from one source. I don't know SGML (but I suppose it's
not too different from HTML), but does SGML have a built-in option to do this?
If not, preprocessed SGML might be an option.

>    The release notes are in
> /boot-floppies/documentation/release-notes.sgml in the debian-boot CVS tree,
> that's DebianDoc SGML. Will you please look at it? If you have
> straightforward patches, commit them or send them over; but do tell me if
> there are major structural changes needed to add stuff from your document.

I know CVS as far as documented on http://cdimage.debian.org/ch32.html , but I
don't seem to be able to access the release notes with that method. What
paths etc. are needed?

> > I'd be happy to give you CVS access to the boot-floppies CVS area
> > where the release notes source is kept.

That's okay, then I'll finally have a good reason to learn CVS ;-)

>From what I've heard, CVS "should" be done with/over ssh. Do you need my ssh
identity.pub ?

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer