Re: Help: Microsoft patent covers package download and upgrade

"J.A. Bezemer" <costar@panic.et.tudelft.nl> schrob:

> On Tue, 2 May 2000 arto.astala@nokia.com wrote:
> > Microsoft was recently granted a patent that covers a core
> > part of Debian, and probably Red Hat too. (If you have
[...]
> I've followed a course on patents at our Univ, and learned that formulation is
> EXTREMELY important. And M$ happily formulated things in such a way that
> Debian and RH are not affected.
[...]

But even if Debian is unaffected by this the question remains whether
the patent remains valid, doesn't it?  At least to me (and I'm as far
from being a lawyer as one could possibly be) the Debian-way looks
clearly like prior art.

I'd really appreciate some enlightenment from people who know more
about such things than I do!

Greetings,
Lars