RE: Help: Microsoft patent covers package download and upgrade

I would tend to agree that the MS patent is fairly limited on its face,
although I am not speaking as an attorney (due to my inactive Texas bar
card, retired status, darn near zero patent experience, and so forth).  I am
also not speaking for my current employer TI (which seems regrettably more &
more in bed with M$ lately - WinCE? WinMedia? c'mon....).  I believe there
are quite a few differences in the update process and underlying technology
which anybody who has used both MS-Windows and GNU/Linux can appreciate:

1. MS stores its .DLL/.EXE/etc. version/date information in the
all-encompassing Windows Registry - thus the "registry key" references in
the claims.  Debian uses DPKG (sorry, but I'm not very familiar with
apt/dselect/dpkg inner workings) and RedHat/Mandrake/clones use RPM
databases.  These are analogous but probably not infringing, since they rely
not on dates but on version numbers (e.g. aspell-.30.1-1.deb,
gaspell-.30-2rh61.i386.rpm) (see also
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/packaging.html/ch-versions.html
) to uniquely identify packages.  In any case you really don't even need a
package database - just have e.g. 'rpm -Uvh' compare version number[s] of
existing installed package[s] vs. available package[s] (as long as they
increment sanely ;-).  Of course, version numbers sometimes are constructed
from dates, but usually only for devel snapshots...

2. As Anne mentioned, MS uses a server-side database to compare against,
while the Linux utilities use a client-side database.  This is probably the
best argument technically speaking, since the Linux way doesn't require any
intelligence on the server side - just throw the files up there, and let the
client sort them out.  (Kinda like "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out"
[even though I am a pacifist agnostic] ;-p).

3. Debian and RHAT use ftp/nfs/localfiles/(http?) for net transport whereas
MS uses HTTP and DCOM/ActiveX (inside IE) I believe.  Fortunately, you don't
need an "integrated" web browser running to update Linux.  Unfortunately
something like MandrakeUpdate might blur the lines....

4. Linux does not use "software program module components" - we like files,
executables and libraries just fine thank you very much ;-) Yes, mere
semantics I know (but even retired lawyers like stuff like that).  But MS
does tend to look at everything differently, whereas in UNIX-like OS's we
know "everything's a file"... this kind of also gets back to the Registry in
point 1.

5. Other stuff I'm sure we can come up with... any real practicing patent
attorneys out there?

--
Eric R. Sherrill, WF Software Systems Engineer
Texas Instruments HFAB1 Automation Systems