Re: A way to edit debiandoc-sgml

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Marcin Owsiany wrote:

> Hi!
> I barely know anything about debiandoc SGML.
> However i'm looking for some information on how to edit documents written in
> it. (I want to translate the Debian installation manual)

Do you know HTML?  Debiandoc is just like HTML with a different set of
tags.  (They are both applications of SGML)

> I don't know how does emacs make editing of such documents easier (does it
> hide the markup??). I tried to teach myself emacs a few times, with little
> success - how to use the 'modes' is a great mystery to me.

Emacs gives you syntax-hilighting, formatting and validation.  If you have
installed the psgml package, opening up an SGML document should put you in
the right mode.  Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote a Debian SGML HOWTO but I don't
know the URL offhand.

> I would like to find some nice (preferably 'best') way to edit such
> documents. If emacs is the only one, then I probably need to start exploring
> it once again..

It's just text.  You can use any editor really.  And if you're just doing
translations, for the most part you can just ignore the tags.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>