A way to edit debiandoc-sgml

Hi!
I barely know anything about debiandoc SGML.
However i'm looking for some information on how to edit documents written in
it. (I want to translate the Debian installation manual)

I don't know how does emacs make editing of such documents easier (does it
hide the markup??). I tried to teach myself emacs a few times, with little
success - how to use the 'modes' is a great mystery to me.

I would like to find some nice (preferably 'best') way to edit such
documents. If emacs is the only one, then I probably need to start exploring
it once again..

Any help is appreciated.

regards
Marcin