Re: Help with German Documentation

Hi,

"Rodger Etz-Brown" <rodgereb@hotmail.com> writes:

> the German distribution (2.1) sold in a box with 7 CDs and a handbook
> doesn't seem to contain boot floppies (as said in the handbook). There is
> also no proper description of how to create them. One way to remedy this
> would be to update the handbook.

> Comparing the handbook with Red Hat's and Suse's I think there is room for
> improvement. Not sure, if I address this to the right person / group, but I
> would contribute some paragraphs or pages (may be even chapters :-) ) for
> the German distribution, if there is a way to do so. If the German version
> is a complete translation of the English (and therefore incomplete in both
> versions), I could make my contributions in both languages.

That's so far as I know sure.

Package: installmanual-de
Version: 2.1-3
 This package installs the HTML version of the install manual into the
 Debian documentation. It includes the PS and the text version,
 too. The source package contains the SGML source and is able to
 produce other formats using debiandoc-sgml.
installed-size: 575

This is aimed for the install process, only. It may lack some
information, but hopefully not that many. The integration of the
manual into the boot floppies is perhaps another task ...

> If you think there is a way, I could help you, please let me know. It always
> hurts to see that some novice might buy this great distribution and get lost
> due to a lack of proper 'paper' documentation.

That's right.

But in addition to the install process the handbook of SuSe contains
also a beginners guide and a (limited) administrators guide. I think
that's usefull to let both documents (install and other themes)
separate. But it is usefull to add these documents to the CD
set. Therefor the translation of the documents prepared in this group
will be very valuable (and/or including your additionally planned
chapters).

I really like to see a german Debian Distribution that can compete
with SuSe in *all* aspects.

Thanks
     Christian

--