Re: Debian Tutorial.

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Craig Sawyer wrote:

> Hello, I was working on the tutorial, that Havoc Pennington started a
> while ago, and I normally type away on it every chance I get(normally
> plane rides), and it looks like it's been deprecated, or is planning on
> being deprecated.
>
> If it's going to be worked on I need the CVS path
> again, I seem to have forgotten it, after someone moved it around last
> time.
>
> If it's not going to be worked on, I will be looking for a new project to
> type away at :)
>
> Sorry I haven't been following the mailing list as of late, I've had some
> personal issues I had to resolve, but I'm hoping to come back :)

Craig,

	I had come correspondence with Havoc Pennington on this matter a
while ago, and here is an excerpt from his reply :

---------- Begin quote -------------
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Jor-el wrote:

>       The page http://www.debian.org/~hp/debian-tutorial.html mentions
>that the Debian Tutorial may be obsoleted by another book. But I couldnt
>find a link to that book. Could you please send me that link, if you have
> it?

It's published by New Riders, the authors listed are John Goerzen and
Ossama Othman (much of it is from the tutorial though). I don't know if
they are actively maintaining an online version or taking patches; I guess
if they aren't then that maintenance work needs to be done, based on their
book. However, I don't have time to do it. :-( You may want to ask them.
If there's no maintainer I'd suggest working with the Open Source Writers
Group (www.oswg.org) which seems to be replacing the Linux Documentation
Project. Should also talk to the Debian doc project of course.

	Not that this really answers your question. But I thought I'd
mention it...

Regards,
Jor-el

"Ain't that something what happened today.  One of us got traded to
Kansas City."
		-- Casey Stengel, informing outfielder Bob Cerv he'd
		   been traded.