[RFC]Proposal for CBT type Linux intro (fwd)

Aarrgh! Wrong address!

		-- Mark Twain

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 21:35:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jor-el <jorel@marvin.megadodo.umb>
To: debian-doc@list.debian.org
Cc: Debian Development List <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
Subject: [RFC]Proposal for CBT type Linux intro

Hi,

	I dont know if this is a common thing in the windows world, but
certainly on IBM desktop machines (Win9x or OS/2), the first time a PC is
brought up, there is a CBT (optional) presented to the user to learn more
about the OS. The topics covered are navigation, and common tasks. This is
a proposal for the Debian/Linux equivalent. Essentially, it would present
the contents of the Debian Tutorial that is now being worked on.

	First things first : does anyone know of an existing app that does
this? If so, let me know.

	The basic implementation should have the following properties :

1.  Graphical. But in order to satisfy the lowest common denominator, this
would have to be curses based. Perhaps, the install programs could be
modified for this purpose.

Reason for a graphical UI is two-fold : attractive to a newbie, and (I
feel) it will be easier to navigate.

2.  Provide info on navigation (the OS), basic concepts, and common tasks.
Have information on how to find out about advanced tasks.

3.  Capable of providing a simulated shell environment where the newbie
can try out commands without damaging the system. (A chroot'd shell on
/tmp?).

4.  Capable of being maintained easily. This probably means that it would
be a good thing to have it sync up with the Debian Tutorial easily.

	Comments anyone?

Regards,
Jor-el

PS. Can someone tell me what header I should use to set the follow-ups to
debian-doc?

		-- Mark Twain