Re: Install manual, Finnish translation STARTED

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 02:26:21PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Argh, why the heck are we putting languages in their own dir?
> Doesn't that break content-negotiation?  And I just got Ardo to add
> content-negot. naming into the debiandoc-sgml tools?

Only the source is in its own directory(*). The final html files are
all in one directory. This was done mostly because of the large number
of files in some directories that would result from having all
translations together. It also means translators don't have to keep
all the other translations on their machine. There is nothing wrong
with having all versions together.

Remember, that was only an example makefile.

Jay Treacy

(*) Some files that change often or have little prose on them have
all translations in the same file and are kept under the English
directory. A feature of wml called slices allows individual languages
to be extracted when creating the html files. The vendors page maintainer,
for example, can add a new vendor and all the language versions are
automatically updated. Of course, if the text at the top of the page
is modified then the translators will have to update their translation.