Re: Debian installation instructions.

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:17:24 -0600, "Alex Mauer" <hawke666@geocities.com> said:
> Thanks much for (taking part in anyway, not sure how much you did
> ;-)) writing such excellent installation instructions.

You are welcome; and thank you for your compliment.

> However (there's always one of those, isn't there) I do have a few
> comments.  First, it's possible to install from a DOS partition w/o
> using root.bin, linux, or install.bat.  write the rescue image to
> floppy, put the base2_0.tgz (and I assume eventually base2_1.tgz),
> and both floppy images into another drive/partition (presumably a
> DOS one that is being kept...in fact, with the current install
> instructions don't you have to be keeping the DOS partition that is
> booted from?)  ...anyway, boot from the rescue diskette, and tada,
> it's installing.  I definitely prefer this method to the one listed
> in the installation instructions (fewer files to download, only
> 4...makes it somewhat less complex I think)

That's a good point.  I'll add this as an alternative in Section 5.4.1
"Installing from a DOS partition"

> Lastly, looking at the 2.1 installation instructions, I don't like
> the "table of contents" format that it's in...makes it a pain to
> print as well as read.   Hope my comments and suggestions go well
> towards improving this excellent guide!

Oh, you mean the many different HTML files instead of one file?

As for printing, I can and shall produce PDFs on the www.debian.org
pages.  As for reading, *one* huge huge huge HTML file is
ergonomically *proven* to be inferior to a broken-up system.  The
ASCII file is one big file if you prefer to read it as one file; and
the PDF, of course (even that is broken into pages).