Re: Inconsistencies in DDP home page

In article <[🔎] 199811041506.QAA24174@dunite.icp.inpg.fr>, Rafael Laboissiere <rafael@icp.inpg.fr> writes:
> First of all, my congratulations to the DDP for their great work.

> Browsing the DDP home page (http://www.debian.org/~elphick/ddp) I
> found some inconsistent links:

Hmmm.  I'll  look into these since I have CVS access to the DDP.

> Changing subject: is there any plan to move from the Debiandoc-SGML
> markup to DocBook?  My understanding is that SGML-tools team did
> already the move for version 2.0.

I don't think there are any plans to do so.  I think for linuxdoc it
made sense to move to docbook.  For Debian, I don't think there is any
such need.  We're a tight-knit, specialized group.  For instance, we
have a <package> tag, but that's not to be found (clearly) in docbook.

Of course, we could easily extend docbook to have our tags that we
like, but... you just have to ask why.  Docbook is a big, scary,
complex DTD.  Debiandoc-SGML is small, simple, and cute.  Docbook +
jade doesn't produce quality (IMHO) ASCII, nor nroff, nor info pages.

However, if you would like to mess around with DSSSL, a good starting
point might be making an HTML stylesheet for debiandoc DTD.  It
shouldn't be too hard.  It would be a fun alternate formatting
mechanism.  I'm sure Ardo would be curious (albeit skeptical).