Re: Re^6: Debian Metadata Proposal -- draft rev.1.4

Hello Marco,

On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 03:26:00PM +0100, Marco Budde wrote:
> Am 09.07.98 schrieb Marcus.Brinkmann # ruhr-uni-bochum.de ...
>
> MB> I think there are indeed problems, for example if two packages want
> MB> register the same home page. I don't think this is very likely, but I
> MB> think it is very likely that two packages may want to register the same
> MB> relative path in your proposal.
>
> The path is relative in the docreg file but not in the database! There#s
> no difference, sorry.

Yes,, this is true. And I come to the conclusion that the Identifier
field is not required to be unique. Adam is right, there is no reason
why it should be unique. We just dont need a unique identifier.
(Maybe the set of all four required field must be unique, or the
identifier must be unique within a single package, Im not sure,
but for now the Identifier field is not required to be unique).

> MB> > But we will have something like general/howto.
> MB> No, we will not have something like this.
>
> ??? Some month ago we both agreed, that we will have such a section.

We didnt have the type field then, which is a much better solution,
although you dont seem to recognize it.

> MB> > If I (as package maintainer) would for example move HOWTO/ to HOWTO/html
> MB> > all links to the HOWTOs will be broken with both solutions.
> MB> ???? You would have to update your docreg files, wouldn't you?
>
> The links of translations to this package would be broken! This shows that
> your propsal uses filenames as identifier.

Oh, you are talking about links between docreg entries... well,
I havent considered the issues of translations and autoconversion.

Marcus