Re^6: Debian Metadata Proposal -- draft rev.1.4

Am 09.07.98 schrieb Marcus.Brinkmann # ruhr-uni-bochum.de ...

Moin Marcus!

MB> I think there are indeed problems, for example if two packages want
MB> register the same home page. I don't think this is very likely, but I
MB> think it is very likely that two packages may want to register the same
MB> relative path in your proposal.

The path is relative in the docreg file but not in the database! There#s
no difference, sorry.

MB> > But we will have something like general/howto.
MB> No, we will not have something like this.

??? Some month ago we both agreed, that we will have such a section.

MB> There is no way you can make me including some shit like "general/howto"
MB> that tells the user NOTHING, now that we have te notion of the "Type:"
MB> element.

That you don#t like a howto section is not an argument.

MB> > Maybe nice, but a system like dhelp needs its own databases. I need a
MB> > special sorting of the data.
MB> Seems like a design flaw of dhelp.

Please stop telling me such a nonsense :(. Why should I sort the data
every time a package installs a new document? This would be a design flaw.

MB> > If I (as package maintainer) would for example move HOWTO/ to HOWTO/html
MB> > all links to the HOWTOs will be broken with both solutions.
MB> ???? You would have to update your docreg files, wouldn't you?

The links of translations to this package would be broken! This shows that
your propsal uses filenames as identifier.

MB> > Rebuild the database.
MB> This reminds me too much of reinstall windows. We can do better.

Is this one of your technical objections? Please tell me a better
solution.

cu, Marco

--
Uni: Budde@tu-harburg.de           Fido: 2:240/5202.15