Debian Documentation Project

Dear Debian Documentation Project,

I've just finished my resume on how to manipulate Debian binary packages.
I believe that, on the users' perspective, this is the main component of the Debian Package System.

I've been a Debian user for a year. When I started I found difficult to learn about the Debian Package System.
Both because the information was dispersed into several documents and there was better quality documentation on building packages rather than on manipulating binary packages.

Debian Documentation should pay a lot more attention to users if it aims a larger audience.

The provisional title, abstract, table of contents and introduction of my resume just follows:

title:
Essentials on Debian Binary Packages

abstract:
This manual is intended to help the Debian user to get familiar with
a major component (in the users' perspective) of the Debian Package System:
the manipulation of binary packages.

table of contents:

1.Introduction
1.1.Feedback

2.Debian package system
2.1.The package concept
2.2.The package tools

3.The binary package
3.1.Package architecture
3.2.Package dependencies and conflicts
3.3.Package priority
3.4.Package section
3.5.Package status
3.6.Package stability
3.7.Package support

4.The binary package tools
4.1.dselect
4.1.1.dpkg-ftp
4.2.dpkg-deb
4.2.1.Display the control file of a package
4.2.2.Display the contents of a package
4.3.dpkg
4.3.1.Install or unpack a package
4.3.2.Configure a package
4.3.3.Remove and purge a package
4.3.4.Display the status of a package
4.3.5.List packages
4.3.6.Locate package owning a file
4.4.dpkg-split

5.References

introduction:
The Debian Package System is the core basis of the Debian GNU/Linux
distribution.
This manual is intended to help the Debian user to get familiar with
a major component (in the users' perspective) of the Debian Package System:
the manipulation of binary packages.
A good knowledge on how to manipulate binary packages is essential if you plan to
install, upgrade and remove applications in an easy and straight way. Otherwise
you'll have to obtain the applications source code, compile and install them,
with all the setbacks and errors that it carries out.
Starting with a brief overview on the Debian Package System, it will then
introduce you to the binary package features and present the available tools
to manipulate binary packages.

I'd like to know if the DDP finds any interest on my resume and if I should go into a Debian user manual.

Best regards,

J.Loureiro